Wednesday 3 November 2010

Modeling: Space Station Miniature - Basic Model

I've started and I suppose almost finished the space station miniature model.

I've provided both a wire frame and non wire frame screen shot of the space station, in both smoothed and unsmoothed preview mode.


Just a side note. The middle ring is very chunky and isn't a perfect ring. (it raises up at the side parts.) I had this idea that it would be made out of some sort of modeling clay or plasticine. Then in the bump map we could give it giant finger prints. That will certainly make it look small!


And just for good measure, here's the underside view.


OK. Things that need doing are the UV mapping. I haven't even started that yet. It does mean that I will have to delete some of the repeated shapes, UV map them and re duplicate them, but that's fine. The only other thing missing from this compared to the space pod are the bits of glue. I have a rough Idea of where I'm going to place it. I also need to make sure some of the parts are stuck on irregularly, to get red of the uniformity.

So how is the space pod coming along?
Well. I've added a bit more glue around some other parts of the objects. Unfortunately I am going to have to accept that there are more polygons used in the glue geometry, than there are in the rest of the model. Even if it is from a reasonable distance on camera, the obvious lumps of glue really add to the overall look and is something that a really decent texture alone could not do.
I'm tempted to make the glue even more visible by making it more chunky. I suppose I've got to not over do it though, and get the balance just right.


I've also done a bit of re sizing the UVs, but I still haven't figured out how to fit them into a square. I'm not even sure if I should put the textures over several map arrangements. The thing is that I'm not sure whats the best way to go about it. I especially don't want to be wasting space on a half used square. I'd really like some help on this at some point. Maybe tomorrow as it's all day Maya.


Here is a link to the pod in the previous post.

No comments:

Post a Comment